Quests are essentially compound Milestones. The completion status of the Quest is derived from the completion status of the Milestones (Tasks) that it is composed of. If you haven't checked out Milestones yet, check out our Milestones page document!
An easy way to Design your first brainCloud Quests is to conceptually Design them as a Set Collection of Objectives. eg: Defeat Bosses from Earth, Fire, Water, and Air in any order to earn a Set Payout and Achievement. The set of objectives can be quantities of an action: eg: Collect 100 resource cubes each of Earth, Fire, Water, and Air to earn a Set Payout and Achievement.
The best Quest designs have multiple objectives which can be completed in any order.
When possible set up Quests so the user can progress on multiple quests at the same time. This contributes player choice to progression and improves the balance of short and long term goals available to the user.
To create a quest, go to the Quest page on the dashboard.
Creating a quest
- Click the [Add Item] button with the plus icon.
- Similar to Milestones, enter a Quest Name and Category for the quest.
- Select a chosen Quest Type.
- Unordered Complete - All milestones must be completed and order does not matter.
- Unordered Minimal - A minimal number of milestones must be completed and order does not matter. The number that must be completed is specified by the value entered in Minimum Tasks.
- Ordered Complete - All milestones must be completed in the order specified in the quest.
- Ordered Minimal - A minimal number of milestones must be completed in the order specified in the quest. The number that must be completed is specified by the value entered in Minimum Tasks.
- If you selected a Minimal quest type, enter a Minimum Tasks amount required to complete the Quest. Quests auto-complete when the task count or minimal task count is complete, so a quest would be marked as completed, if the end-user has completed 3 of 5 tasks, and only two are needed.
- Extra Data, Unlock Thresholds, and Rewards have the same setup and usage as you viewed earlier on the Milestones page.
- Tasks are milestones that can be placed inside the Quest, and act as the quest's Completion Threshold.
As expected from the Milestone page, Tasks also contain a Title, Description, Extra Data, Unlock Thresholds, Completion Threshold and Rewards.
Task Rewards are given on their individual completion, which can act as mini rewards as the player works towards the complete quest. Also, when choosing Minimum Tasks, unrewarded tasks can be met after quest completion.